Monday, May 7, 2012

Faithfulness in the "In-Between"

Last January I joined a small group of ladies from my Sunday School class for a small group bible study. At the time I was in a place in my life that was very "in-between" seasons.  We had only recently started attending this church and weren't entirely sure this is where we would stay so we were in between churches.  I had just had my second child and was still adjusting to life as a mother of two - in between stages of motherhood.  My life consisted of (what seemed like) mundane everyday tasks - dishes, laundry, diapers, nursing, naps (or lack thereof) and "trying" to get dinner on the table.  Nothing very exciting or noteworthy, yet I was so drained I felt I was barely making it through each day!  Survival was my chief goal. 

But as I studied with these ladies, I felt God calling me to more than I was expecting of myself.  Several times during those months I came across Psalm 37:3 where it says to "...dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness."  I felt God asking me to be faithful to Him even in times like these that seemed dry or even weary and draining.  He says He cares about all of my daily struggles - even if it is just trying to maintain my sanity between the housework that is piling up and the kids that are screaming for my attention!  He wants me to bring all of these to Him instead of trying to handle them on my own.

 I have no idea why the King of the universe cares that the dropped lasagna was the breaking point of my day and made me finally give in to the tears, but He does!  In 1 Peter 5:7 He says "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."  He cares about it all...wow!  I want to be faithful to a God who cares so much for me! 

So what started marinating in my mind and heart over a year ago I now realize needs to be my life-long pursuit.  There are so many areas that I just get lazy in because I'm not seeing any results from my efforts or I feel that the tasks just aren't "important" enough for me to spend the time on them.   I want to be faithful with all he has given me and to invest all of that time and energy on cultivating faithfulness to the God who loves me!

Lord,
Thank you for loving me so completely!  Thank you for wanting me to bring all of my cares and burdens to you - even those that I think are silly or small.  Forgive me for being unfaithful with my time and resources.  Please teach me how to cultivate faithfulness right where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment